Sunday, November 12, 2017

Too Much Kale? Make Lemon Flavored Kale Chips


lemon flavored kale chips http://www.glutenfreematters.com


If you belong to a CSA like I do, you may be inundated with greens right now. This week I received collards, kale, lettuces, mustard greens etc. Although I am using the greens in smoothies and salads, I am concerned I won't get to all of it- so I decided to make kale chips.

Kale tossed in lemon juice http://www.glutenfreematters.com


Kale or Collard Chips Are Easy, Healthy, and Crispy
Kale or collard green chips are easy to make and are really delicious. Some people find they enjoy kale or collards best as a crunchy chip.

kale chips lemon flavored
Lay out on cookie sheet that has been covered with parchment paper and spray with olive oil spray and sprinkle with salt


Great Way to Get Kids to Eat More Greens
It is a great way for kids to eat kale! It makes a great after school snack or a healthy appetizer  for kids to snack on while waiting for dinner.

collard green
Cut out the hard stems from collards andk
Does Baking The Kale Destroy the Nutrients?
I was concerned that baking the kale would deplete its nutritional benefits. However after some research, I found out that the heat does not affect the vitamin K( which is vital for calcium absorption) or the fiber content. Although it does affect the Vitamin C and Beta Carotene slightly, it doesn't destroy all of it. So, you still get most of the benefit and you are likely to eat more kale this way! Baking kale removes the water content and leaves you with a crispy delightful snack that everyone seems to love!

Make your Kale Chips Your Way
If the chips are too bland for you plain, you can certainly add seasoning before baking. In the past I've made Spicy Kale Chips for Cinco de Mayo.  You can season with just salt and pepper or add some lemon or lime juice for a tangy flavor.

So, if you ever find yourself with too many greens like kale or collards- don't let them go bad-make kale or collard green chips.

Ingredients:

2 cups of kale or collards, de-stemmed and washed
2 Tablespoons of olive oil
1/2 cup lemon juice
Himalayan salt to taste

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Wash and de-stem kale or collard greens. Place in a large mixing bowl. Mix lemon juice, olive oil, and salt. Pour over greens and toss. Pour off any excess liquid. Place greens in a single layer on a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper and bake for 10-15 minutes but watch carefully so it doesn't burn. Use two cookie sheets if needed . Do not put kale on top of each other.

Lemon flavored kale chips http://www.glutenfreematters.com


8 comments:

  1. Haven't made kale chips this year yet..love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had so much kale and collards , I had to do something. Saved them from going bad

      Delete
  2. Kale chips are my favorite (and that comes from someone who never even ate kale before going gluten free). You can easily go through a lot of kale by making kale chips. I sometimes buy kale chips while on travel and one of the flavors which tastes so cheesy and I love is made with lemon and tahini. Completely addictive! Btw, you don't have to cut out the stem if you hold the stem and then use your other hand to quickly pull either side of the leaf off the stem. It's a quick and easy method for de-stemming.

    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds so delicious!! My kids love kale chips with olive oil and salt, but I think they will really enjoy it with the lemon as well! Thanks for the great idea!!! I can't wait to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love kale with nutritional yeast but this looks super interesting too. I will give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Lemon Flavored Kale Chips will be delicious!Thanks so much for sharing with us at Full Plate Thursday. Come to next weeks Thanksgiving party on Tuesday at 8:00 am, CST, see you then!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. I love knowing who is stopping by to read my posts! Have a great day.

Printfriendly